The Air Force Academy
When Secretary of the Air Force, Harold E. Talbott announced on 24 June 1954 that the permanent home of the soon to be United States Air Force Academy (USAFA) would be at Colorado Springs, Colorado, came the word that the interim site for the USAFA would be Lowry AFB. Further, it was stated that the first cadets would enter training at Lowry in July of 1955. The first class of 306 young men started on July11, 1955 and thus began the tradition and honor of the Air Force Academy at Lowry AFB. The cadets were to call Lowry home for the next four years.
A side-note: Walt Disney Studios were contracted to design the original USAFA student uniforms!
at the Academy. Having endured the rigors of study involving the mechanics of flight, some USAF cadets become pilots. This photo depicts a cadet sitting in the cockpit of a Lockheed P-80/T-33 “Shooting Star.”