Building Index – Hangar 1, Building 401
Hangar 1, Building 401
7711 E. Academy Blvd
Denver, CO 80230
[GPS 39°43’13.44″N 104°53’42.84″W]
Lowry Field’s Hangar #1, Building 401, the 2nd new hanger to be built on Lowry Field, began construction in June of 1940 and was completed on 17 April, 1941. Hangar #1 has 12 massive 6 ton doors 250 feet wide each of which can be rolled open. Hangar #1 was re-purposed as the “Wings over the Rockies Air & Space Museum”.
[NOTE: The hanger number designations were switched by the military in 1966, the year all flying ceased at the base. Building 401 had originally been designated as Hanger #2, but had its hangar designation changed to what is known today as Hanger #1. See “Hangar Designations” panel at bottom of page.]
Carrie Fisher, AKA “Princess Leia” of Star Wars fame, passed away unexpectedly on 27 Dec 2016 having reached only her 60th birthday. The Wings Museum paid tribute to Fisher on 28 Dec 2016.
Lowry Hangar Designations
[From John Bond’s Book, Chronological Review of Lowry, Legends of Flight 10-3, Pages 20-21 & Personal Observations.]
Building 402, Hangar #1, was the first hangar built. Has control tower in middle of roof. Started Aug 1938, completed Aug 1939.
Building 401, Hanger #2, was the second hangar built, has control tower on left-front side. Started June, 1940, completed 17 Apr 1941.
When flying stopped in 1966 Building 401 became Hangar #1. With the closure of Lowry AFB in 1994 Building 401 was re-purposed and became the “Wings over the Rockies Air & Space Museum.” Building 402 became Hangar #2 and was re-purposed to become Lowry retail, offices, restaurants, and storage facilities.
After base closure, the official building numbers began to fade and are now known only as “Hangar #1; Wings Museum” and “Hangar #2; Storage & Retail.”
In 1985, a classroom extension was added on to Building 401 (known then as Hangar #1) and completed in 1986.