Building Index – Building 1499
8580 E. Lowry Blvd
Denver, CO 80230
[GPS N39°43’15.8400″, W104°53’11.5200”]
High security gave this large hangar-like building the nickname of the “Black Shack” during the war years. When opened in 1954 Building 1499 was assigned the role as a training site for various “sensitive” weapon systems…and the tools used to work with them.
The first building sold to the private sector after the base closed, 1499 underwent massive renovations resulting in a completely remodeled interior featuring two ice arenas, and became known as “Big Bear.” It is situated at the north end of the Sports Complex and is easily visible from nearly anywhere in Lowry with its stand-alone hangar look.
#1. Building 1499, the “Black Hangar.” Special Weapons Training was once taught in this secure environment known then simply as the “Black Hangar,” which has been repurposed and is known today as the “Big Bear Ice Arena”.